Tuesday, July 23, 2019

We did a thing, and we did it.

My word how time flies. I had big plans to do massive blogging and they all fell flat. So a recap, yet again. Even numbered this time!

1. I went to England! It was for work, so half of the time was not mine, but I had tacked a few days onto the end of the trip and I am really glad I did. Going to see the Tamworth castle built in the 1200's, having a proper afternoon tea (which includes food!), taking a canal tour in the city that has more canals than Venice, visiting a "50 years of Black Sabbath" exhibit, and taking the train were the highlights. Going through Customs/Immigration to go into the UK was a weird experience. I legit didn't realize we were doing it until they stamped my passport. It took less than 30 seconds. I can honestly say the experience to get back into the US was NOT the same. #BarneyFifesEverywhere

2. I had two days to get back in shape after I landed because I had a lesson on the 6th. That was fun, trying to fight the jet lag. #Tiredfordays The lesson went pretty well. I was told I was 100% wrong, twice. (turns out, she was right too) That apparently *I* am the reason Mia falls in and drops her shoulders at times, not her. I am also not currently allowed to use my inside rein if my right hand is holding it. Yeah, big rider fail, I am pulling it WAY to much. She also said I am riding better, but I am still riding to a pattern and it is obvious when I am riding my test. And I also have legs of iron.  When I take my legs "off", apparently I am still using my legs which is the opposite problem of most people. *sigh* The homework until she comes back is to work on a better, consistent connection which will come if I stop pulling with my right hand and stop driving so much with my legs. Hmm.

3. The very next day we hauled out and went XC schooling. I had high goals of doing the Training level HT, but to do that I needed to go over some actual Training level fences and questions. There are only 2 Training level size logs in the "course" my barn has, and that won't do when I need more variety, so a good 2+ hour drive to go schooling it is!
Schooling went excellent despite the temperature. We had the opportunity to go over a lot of jumps that were not set up the last time we were there. Each time I got a little intimidated by something, I stopped looking at it and that seemed to be the solution. I can't worry about their size when I don't see them! And it works because Mia hops over them like they are literally a little BN fence.

4. After the great schooling, I pulled the trigger. We entered our first ever Training level Horse Trial! There was a period of time in which I wouldn't have anyone with me, as SO was out of town and no one else was available, however MR from the barn stepped up when she heard I was going alone and got up at god-awful in the AM to go with us. The week leading up to the show was an intense, ride every day, whirlwind as we struggled to get back to the place we were before our 1.5 week sabbatical while I was in England.

Image may contain: one or more people, tree, outdoor, nature and water

So here is your obligatory cliff hanger! How was the show? Did we finish on a number or a letter? Did the rider go off course again? Stay tuned to find out!

2 comments:

  1. So excited to find out how you guys did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for entering the show! I'm sure you got a number.

    ReplyDelete