Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Yet another reason I am not riding my horse

What a heck of a month and a half. In November I moved Mia to a new farm that was a touch closer to my house but also had a stall for her to be in during inclement weather. While I was okay enough where we were, the shelter wasn't ideal, the footing of the turnout wasn't ideal, the setup wasn't ideal, and her pasture mates kicked her butt a lot. So on Nov 1, Mia got a new zip code. Very quickly she settled right in and has made friends wherever she goes.

I make friends with everyone! Haz you treatz?

I started riding as soon as I moved and we got in some decent trail and working rides. The new barn is located in the middle of flat farm country so there are flat fields all around us, save for a small patch of woods directly behind the pastures. The flat fields allow for some trot/canter/gallop sets and the woods are just enough variation to not get bored (yet). But then I came down with some sort of head cold/sinus infection that tried to turn in to a lung infection that then required two different courses of antibiotics. Not a lot of riding happens when you can't breathe.

Trail ride! 

Right as that cleared up, hubby brought home Covid from his work travels and I have been down for over a week for that. While the symptoms are not severe, my breathing definitely has been challenging  (again) when doing more than mild movement. We spent a week being quarantined and I worked hard to only go to the barn when no one else is there. So far, so good and in the last 1.5 weeks I have only seen other people twice. Once was a lesson happening, so I avoided the entire area, and today a random farrier showed up. Not mine, so it was easy to skedaddle!

Mia is looking good going into winter!

The hope is that by next week I will feel good enough to start riding again. Mia seems super content at this barn and I haven't had any real issues with the barn. And really, the only compliant I have is the arena footing. It is super inconsistent in deepness, some parts being 6+ inches deep of sand and others having less than an inch. It can be really hard to ride in, so I am trying not to be frustrated with it. I'm not yet willing to move again over that, especially when they are treating her well and I really have no other complaints. 

Ready to get back to this though

So I have now checked off  "House Reno", "Moved 1500 miles", "Huge Abscess", "Multiple Minor Injuries", "Lung Infection", and now "Covid" on my 2022 "Why I haven't Ridden My Horse" bingo card. I'm REALLY hoping I can start back up again. The 2023 season is coming and I want to be ready to kick butt!

1 comment:

  1. Well, on the plus side, she's had lots of time to get used to the barn without any demands..... Seriously tho, I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete