Wednesday, March 2, 2022

A step forward, a step back

Things were so good after the last post. We started cantering, Mia was accepting weight onto her haunches and offering some real collection and connection. We were working on building muscles, all was going well. On Feb 15th I ran out to the barn and swapped Mia's blanket for her sheet and she was fine. I then tweaked my back and didn't make it back out to see her until Feb 19th. When I got there, Mia was a hot mess. Extremely reactive, not wanting me to touch her, would not bend her head/neck/body, and especially did not want anything touching her neck. Ugh. 

I tried talking to barn management about what might of happened, it did not go well. I was only told Mia is fine because she throws her head when she gets grain. No one knows anything more. I have been having issues with the manager but was super disappointed that I can't even approach and ask about my sore horse. I gave Mia bute for a week and after no change, I called the chiropractor. Mia was just seen on the 12th and got a really good report, so it is baffling as to what caused such a massive setback. 

We don't know what the root issue is, but we ARE missing a big piece of information

I tried riding Mia, but she was super duper stiff and really didn't want to move forward. She didn't want to move forward on a lunge either. It has been a long 2 weeks of the best girl feeling horrible. Even though I would have no one to split the travel fee with, I had the chiro out at the first available appointment which was yesterday. My thought and plan was that the vet will send her for xrays, stall rest, and put her on muscle relaxers. If the chiro didn't fix her, I would indeed go down that route but at this point I was pretty certain it was chiropractic. 


Rides in a freshly groomed arena are the best rides.

The chiro visit went exceptionally well. No one knows what happened to make Mia SO out of whack, but per the chiropractor, this was the worst Mia has ever been. She was out everywhere. EVERYWHERE. She was quite badly out in her hips/pelvis/lower back. Mia was worked on for almost an hour and was so much better at the end of the session. Personally I am curious if she fell somehow, as I am not sure that mud/ruts/ice would cause this much of an issue but we will never know. I am to give her time off until Thurs or Friday and then start riding again. If Mia is still stiff or the adjustment didn't stay, the chiro will be back out on Tuesday for their regularly scheduled visit (and split travel fee) and I can have her done again. The chiro said we are missing a big piece of information and I agree. Something isn't right for us to constantly be having issues, the key is finding what that information is.

It was such a relief to have Mia walk out of the barn relaxed again. The poor thing has been a tense, uncomfortable mess for 2 weeks and she seemed so much happier yesterday. My fingers are crossed  that things continue in an upward trajectory, because this being constantly kicked down when we are trying to climb back up is becoming exhausting. 2019 - so much death. 2020 - Covid. 2021 - Lyme and soft tissue injury. I really have had great plans and nothing is being accomplished.


Ready to get back to lipstick after a ride.

I am making a change though. With regret, I gave notice to my barn. I do like the barn and the people however the hostility directed at me from management is only part of it. I really want to see if a different environment makes Mia happier and healthier. We have been at this barn for 6 years at the end of this month and Mia has been hurt/sick/down every 4-7 months of the entire 6 year residency. She gets great care, but sometimes horses aren't happy. Maybe a different farm will be just what we need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment