Thursday, June 29, 2017

Not as planned

So Tuesday we went on a quick walk trail ride and Mia stumbled and acted off immediately.  I hopped down and dug around with a stick but found no rock.  She seemed to walk most of it off, as at first she didn't want to put her foot down, but was still off at the trot when we got back to the barn. She got some poultice and thrown in the pasture.  Wednesday she was still off but we couldn't really tell where.  No heat or swelling, we determined there was possibly heat in her heel.  She got her massage, more bute, some ickthammol and kicked back outside.

Mia had only a few unhappy moments
My PLAN was to give her Thursday off, check her again Friday and scratch from our (first of the season) Novice HT on Saturday if needed.  That flew out the window when we got a call that we had to rush to OH for a family emergency.  So the show was canceled as we were not even in the state dealing with family stuff.

Most of the time, she was simply content and hanging out.
We finally got back from Ohio Weds am.  I went out to the barn last night and my horses were alive and kicking.  Mia was being eaten alive by gnats, she had big sores on her chest and on her udder, so they were both covered in fly spray.  Mia looks like she could possibly still be lame?  But it is very mild if she is.
Writeup of the findings, sideways bc technology.
This weekend I have relatives coming in to visit so I won't be doing much riding, it lets her have more time off I suppose.  Things simply came to a very abrupt halt and it is disappointing horse wise.
Diagram of the muscle groups corresponding to above
So I suppose the best way to finish the post is to talk about Mia's massage.  I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but I am not sure I got it.  They use a big vibrating cylinder over her withers and a handheld one for everywhere else.  They didn't use their hands on her as much as I expected and the knots that were found were better, but they weren't eliminated.  She was pretty tight in her cheeks and shoulder and they gave me some assignments to do on her to help keep her loose and comfortable. I know Mia did enjoy it, I guess I was just expecting more.  Holding a vibrating massager and running it over her body to eliminate knots is not what I expected.  Has anyone else had an equine massage?  Should the knots have been eliminated?

2 comments:

  1. sorry about the canceled even and family emergency! hope everything is ok! also bummer about the weird stumble that made Mia go lame. maybe she just tweaked something?

    that machine seems pretty cool to me! i've never seen anything like it. the massage therapist i use doesn't have any machinery, tho a chiro i used to use had this really cool hand held 'knocking' type device. re: eliminating the knots completely, i honestly don't know. my vet recommended charlie get regular work done bc he's got literal years of stuff built up in his body. and i know when i get massages (very rare, but still), they don't necessarily eliminate every soreness or problem spot immediately. some stuff just takes time, i think. but again - i really don't know, and i've never seen that machine to compare it to a more 'traditional' hands-on massage

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen one of those before! My horses have always gotten hands on massages and the massage-er doesn't stop until everything has been worked out.

    ReplyDelete