Friday, October 28, 2011

Getting back to it and Donkey is annoyed

As I have a cross country lesson next Saturday I need to get my butt back in gear and get on a horse.  I have finally ridden twice this week, the first being a rather leisurely w/t/c ride.  We didn't really working on much because the horses haven't been worked hard and neither have I.  The App was a bit of a pain but is accepting the new (old) thought process of leg means go NOW and that I will no longer nag him.  He was anticipating in the canter pretty badly, he was ready to do tempi changes without me even asking and did a couple of times. We had a couple of discussions that he shall not throw his head and prepare to take off simply because I am reinforcing a bend and am not asking for a flying change.  Taking off is not the best idea Mr. Appy.

I rode again on Wed and had the App all tacked up when I made a last minute decision and decided to ride bareback. I used to do it all of the time and just don't do it much anymore.  I can ride without stirrups or bareback without an issue, I just don't so I took the time on Wed and it ended up being a really nice ride!  The App was soft in the bride, responsive with the legs and didn't try to take off a single time (who is this horse?!?).  I worked really hard on sitting back as I found in my last lesson that I am very upright due to my dressage riding.  I want to be able to sit back when I need to and did a fairly good job of accomplishing it.  I did have to audibly remind myself a few times but it went well.  I had a thoroughly enjoyable ride and called it quits after about 45 mins and a few flying changes just for fun.

Starting tomorrow I am hoping/planning on riding every day.  SO will be out of town for a couple of weeks so I won't have much else to do.  Luckily RB3 is coming out and riding with me so I have someone to talk to and then the TWH is getting ridden too.  I have cleaned my bridles, my girths, washed my saddle pads and have the saddles in the house for a cleaning.  I am ready for some serious riding!

For my amusing story of the day, I think I am going to start driving Ms Daisy and she is not amused lol.  In a tack lot I bought there is a pony sized bridle and though it is a half hole too small, it fits the donkey.  I also found a small copper mouth bit in storage that fits her pretty well.  I put it on her for the first time last night and let her stand with a bit on and she was so annoyed and it was so cute.  She acted like a 2 yr old trying to spit the bit out but the best part was her ears which kept twirling back and forth in complete confusion.  Ha ha!  I am going to let her sit with the bridle on for a few days and then start working with her on lunging again.  When I start actually driving I will need to get a new setup, this is just an old bride with an old tom thumb but I can work with her for now by attaching lines to the check piece.  I don't want to put out a fortune in new  equipment if I don't actually end up driving her.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! A whole week of riding sounds like heaven lol.

    I think driving Daisy would be fun! I never even thought about driving the donkey. If I ever get Zep tamed down and his hooves sound I'll have to try that too. :) I'm still planning to pen Zep up and seriously work on taming him, but it'll have to wait until next spring when the barn is fixed. :)

    ReplyDelete