Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Real riding happening

We have officially moved onto the phase of riding where it isn't quite fitness anymore and there is more asking of some real work.  No real surprise that Mia has gone from Ms Fabulous to Ms Nuh Uh.  Suddenly the ability to ride shoulder in is a foreign concept and one is absolutely not able to move without haunches being thrown to the inside.  Yeah.

We had one ride where I ended up putting spurs on AND having the whip because Mia was absolutely positive that she could not listen to my right leg under any circumstance.  I mean, hey, I get it.  This leg has been operated on 3x and I know it isn't as strong as the other but that is no excuse to blatently ignore it.  It's been okay ALL winter and NOW it should be ignored?  I ended up tapping her every single time I applied my leg just as a reminder for the entire ride. 

The horses got their teeth done on Friday and while there was some minor sharp points, there was nothing major. Maybe it is what made a difference though, as on Saturday and Monday, Mia was actually pretty nice to ride again.  Phew!  She is still unsteady in the bridle going to the right, doesn't want to stay consistent in the contact and wants to keep her haunches in, but it is much better compared to the previous week.  Some more fitness and practice will help straighten her back out, and hopefully we simply move forward and onward.

My happiest moment is that we were actually able to get a few moments of a collected canter again, almost like what we had last year!  I have been asking for more canter and on Saturday she just "got" it.  The instructor last year said to ride the canter like I am approaching a fence.  Sit up, sit back, leg on but not faster.  Try to get her to tilt her pelvis down so she sits and elevates the front with impusion and energy like she needs to go over a fence.  Ding Ding Ding!  It made so much sense, I got it and she was doing it SO well last year before it fell apart.  The fact she was able to hold it for a few strides made me so happy, if we can get that canter at a show?  Our weakest movement would no longer be our weakest movement!

With our third Nor'Easter in as many weeks, I am hopeful that the weather starts cooperating so that I can continue with this riding business.  The lesson next week was cancelled and my sights are now on a tentative show on April 15th, a small CT.  Let's hope we can be at our best for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment